Is the grass really greener on the other side?
I think throughout my life, I have always yearned for the next thing—the next phase, the next step, the next promotion. Looking back, I think I believed that the next thing was always better. The next step usually represented an escape from everything I hated about where I was.
Growing older in a time where social media has exploded has not made things easier. Even when I wasn't seeking it out, it was constantly being presented to me: some random person with a collage on their page representing all the milestones I was longing for. Everything curated to make you feel like everyone is living this perfect life and you're missing out on something.
Even the most contented person would eventually succumb to the external pressure. Why does my everyday life seem like a repetition of the previous one? Why is my progress only measured over the years and not months? The path I have decided to tread seems longer and takes more sacrifice. I put more pressure on myself, feeling dissatisfied with my life because I deemed everyone else's life better than mine.
And when you apply enough pressure to something over time, it cracks. It gives way. It either breaks down or changes to become something better.
And I cracked.
Only, it showed up as anxiety, depression, and losing confidence in myself and my own unique journey.
I had to start over. I had to ask myself what mattered to me. I had to block out all the noise and ignore the time-bound milestones that society had set for when my life was supposed to look a certain way.
I had to take ownership of my own journey, one foot after another. I refuse to be apologetic about the mistakes that I've made. After all, they shaped my path.
I have made a solemn vow to pursue my passions and change my course if a path does not align with my final destination. I have found contentment in little joys like waking up in my own bed, being healthy, having a nice cup of hot chocolate, taking a walk, enjoying the sun, connecting with family, and living in the moment because, in all honesty, it's all we have. Tomorrow is not promised.
There's a relief in surrendering all the things that are out of my control. I can only make the effort, remain open to the possibility of life surprising me with a reward, and be grateful for where I am.
Because if I've learned anything, it's that I am exactly where I am meant to be.
So I ask the question again: is the grass really greener on the other side?
I can genuinely tell you that from where I am standing in my own garden, my grass looks insanely green right now.
Comments
Post a Comment